If you’re considering replacing your home’s garage door, you’ve likely come across insulated door options while researching which type of door best suits your needs and budget. While you can select a standard, stock garage door that can adequately operate and protect your home, having the right garage door can offer an exceptional 93.3% return on investment, according to the Door and Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA). The right door will also improve daily living and increase energy efficiency. Not only can insulated garage doors make operations more efficient and convenient, but they’re also available in several designs, sizes and materials to fit your personal style.
Importance of Garage Door Insulation
As a Tennessee homeowner, why would you need insulated garage doors? In Tennessee, many months of the year are pleasant and comfortable, but during harsh winters, temperatures can drop to the low teens and, in the summer, reach blazing temperatures in the 100s. An insulated garage door can help your home maintain comfortable indoor conditions and prevent precious air from escaping to the outdoors.
Tennessee homes can take advantage of garage door insulation,
Benefits of Garage Door Insulation
Whether your garage connects to your house or stands some yards away, it’s still a vital part of your home and likely acts as a storage area for your cars or belongings. Having insulation on your garage door helps protect the items in your garage that you love and need. Insulating your garage door can also save you money. The reasons to have insulated garage doors are endless, but here are some of the benefits:
- Lower energy costs: While you may not spend a lot of extra time in your garage, attached garages are still part of your home, and you can easily be losing heat or cool air during extreme temperatures — driving up your annual utility costs. The construction standards for your garage are often different than other areas of your home and can allow more gaps, leading to leakages. With a new insulated garage door, you can reduce air loss.
- Added durability: Standard panel garage doors are steel or aluminum wrapped over panel frames, which can be easily damaged by impacts and weather-related damages. The insulation found in garage doors strengthens the materials of the door, which prevents sagging, bending and ripping, and can extend the lifespan of your door. The insulation on the doors also helps them be less susceptible to warping, depending on the material they’re made of, and more sturdy when the sun faces them.
- Improved protection: During times of extreme hot and cold temperatures, vehicles and other items stored in your garage can be negatively affected. Cars subjected to freezing temperatures are unreliable and can have shorter battery lives, thickened motor fluids, low tire pressure, and unpredictable spark plugs or wiring. In warm temperatures, paints, fertilizers, cleaning supplies and vehicle fluids can change consistency or become useless. With an insulated garage door, you can better regulate the temperature of your garage.
- Better moisture control: With a regulated temperature provided by the insulation on garage doors, it’s less likely for your garage to experience significant moisture. The insulation prevents drastic temperature swings from occurring inside your garage, which stops condensation from building up.
- Increased storage space: When you have many items to store because they don’t fit in your home or are seasonal decorations, your garage becomes a go-to space for storage. Ensure your garage receives proper insulation to prevent your belongings from getting moldy or smelling like mildew.
- Reduced noise pollution: With the added layer of insulation and tightly manufactured construction, insulated garage doors tend to have less rattling than lightweight doors and will dampen sounds while the door is opening and closing.
- Easy maintenance: Garage doors with insulation are also reasonable to maintain. Their thickness makes them less likely to scratch or dent from exposure to the natural elements.
- Convenience: Have you ever had to scurry to your car because the outside temperature is unbearably cold or scorching hot? By having an insulated garage door, you can achieve more comfortable temperatures throughout your garage. You can even extend your living space to the garage by creating a more pleasant environment for working out or finishing hobbies.
- Increased home value: Installing insulated garage doors can help improve your home’s value. The added protection, energy efficiency, noise reduction and convenience of a new garage door with insulation make your home more appealing on the market.
Adding insulation to garage doors is smart even if the garage itself isn’t insulated. Overall, the added protection from the insulated doors provides many benefits for homeowners. The initial cost of installing an insulated garage door can be pricey due to the high-quality materials and depends on the size of your door, but you save money over time with lower energy expenses.
When you’re considering installing new insulated garage doors, come to EXL Garage Doors. We’re your local dealer in Tennessee, waiting to help you upgrade your garage. We ensure you get a door that meets your home’s needs while matching its style. Our team is ready to assist with your garage door insulation installation.
CONTACT EXL GARAGE DOORS TO LEARN MORE
At EXL Garage Doors, we offer a wide selection of Clopay garage doors. All our insulated garage doors are available in a variety of colors, materials and styles to fit your personal style and enhance your home’s architecture. You can even customize your garage door to best suit your needs and design aesthetic. To find the ideal Clopay garage door for your home, visit our showroom today to peruse our large selection of residential doors.
For over 20 years, EXL Garage Doors has been providing the most dependable and efficient garage door installations for homeowners throughout Tennessee, including Nashville, Franklin and Gallatin. Not only can our team assist you in selecting, designing and installing a new insulated garage door, but we can also help you with any repair or maintenance needs you may have. Schedule services today by speaking to one of our team members at 615-863-5106 or by filling out our online contact form. You can also request a free service estimate.