At EXL Garage Doors, we believe that the importance of garage door safety inspections cannot be overstated. Having all parts of your garage door inspected at least a few times a year will help keep your garage door working properly. By performing preventive maintenance, you won’t have to worry about your garage door malfunctioning at the most inconvenient time.
How Can I Inspect My Garage Door?
Garage doors have many moving parts, and completing a thorough inspection requires a keen eye and the ability to take things apart. It’s always best to call the professionals, but having a background in a mechanical or carpentry field may help you better diagnose any problems.
Every part of a garage door must function properly as a cohesive unit. One loosened bolt on a hinge can lead to a bent roller stem on a track, causing ball bearings to go everywhere and your garage to bear weight disproportionately and open unevenly. Performing an inspection and preventive maintenance can stop a small issue from snowballing into a larger problem.
Garage Door Inspection Checklist
There are some components of a garage door that you can check yourself, and there are others you should leave to a professional. Some actions you can take yourself include:
- Tighten nuts and bolts: Use a screwdriver or socket set to tighten.
- Check that rollers are in good working order: Look at the wheels inside of the track to make sure they are seated properly and not worn, cracked or broken.
- Check that the lift cable shows no signs of wear: Monitor for frayed or broken strands and clean with a cloth or old toothbrush.
- Lubricate chains screws and springs: Use 3-in-1 or WD40 and apply it to metal parts under stress and friction to extend their life.
- Replace weather seals: Rubber weather seals (u-shaped astragals) are prone to cracking and decay.
Garage door maintenance tasks that are best left to a professional include:
- Replacing a lift cable
- Replacing a torsion or extension spring
- Replacing track systems
- Aligning sensor eyes
- Replacing bottom rollers or hinges
Set yourself a reminder to review these items at least once a year to confirm they are in good shape. If you live in an area where temperatures vary greatly, we recommend going over the items once before and after winter to gauge the level of wear and rust.
Call EXL Garage Doors for a Professional Safety Inspection
Because some of these parts are technical or require special tools, we would advise hiring a professional to perform a rigorous inspection at least once a year. At EXL Garage Doors, we hire only knowledgeable and experienced technicians who know exactly what to look for during a garage door inspection.
Trust us to keep your garage door safe and working for years to come. Feel free to contact us today with any questions about garage door inspections or any other services.