Signs You Need Garage Door Repair
As a homeowner, you likely use your garage door every day — average homeowners use their garage doors at least 1,500 times per year. With constant use, you’ve likely experienced problems with your door and needed urgent garage door repairs. Malfunctioning or broken garage doors can be inconvenient, leaving you unable to quickly and easily leave or enter your home, prompting timely and expensive repairs. They are also a safety hazard for you and family members.
When you notice signs that your garage door needs repairs or experience any of these common garage door issues, call a professional to quickly, reliably and safely make quality repairs to improve the functionality of your door, ensure safe operations and extend the lifespan of your system.
Do I Need Garage Door Repair?
While most homeowners frequently use their garage doors, many make the mistake of not noting usual operations and only inspecting their doors when something breaks. Performing regular monthly maintenance and hiring a professional for in-depth routine repairs can help identify repair needs and prevent hazardous and untimely breakages. Here’s how to tell if you need garage door repair:
- Unable to Manually Lift Door: The garage door opener is what is primarily responsible for helping your door reliably open and close, but in cases of emergencies or a power outage, the opener may not work and you’ll have to manually open your garage door. With springs in good condition, manually lifting the door should be easy. If you cannot open the door, then your springs are likely in poor condition or need to be retensioned — meaning the spring can no longer hold a portion of the door weight. The spring can be easily fixed or replaced with the assistance of a professional.
- Sagging or Uneven Garage Door: When your garage door is sagging, it may just appear as a cosmetic fix, but it’s actually a sign of uneven wear of your garage door springs or can be an improperly installed garage door. If not addressed, the door’s springs can break and cause damages or injury. To quickly and easily fix a sagging door, call a professional to diagnose the issue and make repairs or replacements.
- Rising Electricity Costs: If your utility costs are gradually rising and you can’t easily identify the cause, then it’s likely your increasing bills are due to an improperly working garage door. Typically, costs can rise because of cracked or damaged weather-sealing, allowing air to escape, or your door isn’t closing completely.
- Dented or Damaged Garage Door Panels: Over time, accidents with your garage door are likely to happen — whether you accidentally back into the panels or a large object impacts the door. When your garage door panels are damaged, it can cause the door to become unbalanced, which can eventually lead to additional strain on other parts and hardware, prompting premature failure and replacement needs. If a panel is damaged, you don’t always have to replace the entire door — only the damaged panel. If the door is older than 15-20 years, however, those panels may no longer be available on the market, so it would require a full door replacement.
- Noisy Garage Door Operations: Normal garage door operations are marked with a smooth and consistent sound. If your door begins making unusual and loud noises like screeching, rattling or grating, then you may have an issue with your opener’s motor or worn and damaged parts like springs, tracks or cables.
Contact EXL Garage Doors Today for Garage Door Repairs
For the most reliable, knowledgeable and comprehensive garage door repair services in Tennessee, trust the professionals at EXL Garage Doors. We have over 20 years of experience serving residents throughout Nashville, Gallatin and Franklin with all their garage door maintenance, repair and installation needs. For all garage door services, we send fully equipped trucks and make efficient repairs using the highest-quality parts available for lasting results. Schedule garage door repair or maintenance services today by completing our online contact form or calling 615-863-5106 to speak to a team member.
Signs You Need a New Garage Door
When you left your home today to go to work or run errands, did you notice that your garage door either isn’t operating as efficiently as it once was or is beginning to look unattractive or dated? Garage doors are an essential feature of your home, facilitating easy and reliable opening and closing as well as adding curb appeal. While many homeowners ignore the telltale signs that they need a new garage door, by being proactive about garage door replacement, you can save time and money, avoid unexpected emergency repairs and add value to your home. How can homeowners easily determine signs they need a new garage door?
How Do I Know When I Need a New Garage Door?
When you replace your garage door you can not only save time and money, but you can also increase curb appeal, modernize your home’s exterior and improve daily functionality. Typically, homeowners should consider replacing their garage doors after 10 or 20 years, but if you’re still unsure about whether you should replace your garage door, look out for the following garage door MONSTERS lurking around your garage:
- Maintenance: If your garage door has been unreliable recently, often leaving you stranded inside or out of your garage, and requires frequent maintenance or repairs by a professional, then you would likely benefit from a garage door replacement.
- Outdated: When you glance at your garage door, does it match your home’s other features or detract from its appearance? Many homeowners may avoid replacing their doors to save money or they underestimate the overall aesthetics added by an updated garage door. Replacing your garage door actually increases the value of your home and has the highest return on investment of any home improvement – 98.3% on average, nationwide.
- Noisy Operations: Your garage door will typically make some noise while opening and closing, but as the door ages and wears, it may begin shaking or be excessively noisy. Sometimes this will indicate that certain parts, like the springs, tracks and pulleys, need maintenance, but it could also reveal you need a new door.
- Slow Response: After sending a command to your door, it should respond within a few seconds. If the door moves after more than 10 seconds, then you should call a professional to inspect the cause and help determine if a replacement would benefit you.
- Tired Appearance: After being exposed to damaging elements like storms and direct sunlight, over time your garage door may show signs of wear and tear, like dents, cracks and other signs of damage. Some of these dings can be quickly and easily repaired, but eventually, the unattractive look of your door cannot be ignored. Also, cracks in the door can lead to bowing or panels breaking on the door, rendering it inoperable.
- Energy Loss: For homes with attached garages, panels and worn weatherstripping can greatly reduce your overall energy-efficiency — leading to increased heating and cooling system operations and higher utility costs. Newer garage doors feature better and more effective insulation to help you maintain your indoor temperatures and ensure energy-efficiency.
- Repurposing Spaces: Many homeowners decide that their home’s garage would be better used as additional living space versus storage for vehicles. Instead of removing your garage door completely, consider updating your garage door to more contemporary and attractive designs that will not only enhance your space, but can also easily be converted back into a garage if your needs change.
- Safety Upgrades: Not only are newer garage door styles more attractive and crafted from superior materials, but they also feature the latest safety standards, like automatic reversals and added security and locking capabilities. With these safety upgrades, you can prevent burglaries and other safety-related concerns.
Choose EXL Garage Doors for Your Garage Door Replacement
If you’re a homeowner located throughout Gallatin, Franklin or Nashville, Tennessee, call the experts at EXL Garage Doors for all your garage door installation and replacement needs. Our extensively trained and experienced professionals can easily help you select and install a new, quality garage door that enhances the look of your home, improves functionality and safety, and increases home value. Call us today at 615-863-5106 to learn more, or fill out our online form to request a free project estimate