A homeowners association (HOA) is an organization that oversees a community of houses, high-rises, condos or townhouses. Members pay membership fees for the upkeep of the community and follow HOA guidelines.
The homeowners association typically consists of elected resident volunteers who enforce HOA rules and regulations. These regulations cover the use and maintenance of your home and common areas, which can include your garage door.
HOA Garage Door Rules
Your HOA can have regulations about the style, functionality and maintenance of your garage door. If you fail to comply with these rules, you might be subject to fines or a lien. You should consult your HOA about their specific guidelines, but here are some of the standard HOA regulations for overhead doors.
One of the main functions of an HOA is to maintain the community’s appearance. With that in mind, it makes sense for an HOA to have style guidelines for your garage door. Most HOAs want residents to keep their overhead doors clean, well-maintained and aesthetically pleasing. They would not allow cosmetic damages such as:
- Paint chips
- Fading paint
- Cracked windows
- Peeling paint
- Damaged panels
- Broken windows
- Rotten panels
Additionally, if you need to replace your garage door, you probably have to choose a similar style and design. If the style is no longer available, your HOA can approve a new door. In general, you should obtain your HOA’s approval before replacing your door so you don’t choose one against regulations and have to replace it again.
HOAs can create regulations regarding your overhead door’s functionality. The associations that do often require your door to open and close smoothly and quietly. It’s inevitable for your overhead door to make some noises, but these noises shouldn’t be loud or unusual.
Your HOA can also require your garage to have internal ventilation. Internal ventilation can prevent the buildup of toxic gases from running vehicles. Additionally, the association may want your door to remain closed when not in use. One HOA proposed homeowners should keep their garage doors open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The regulation was supposed to prevent homeowners from allowing others to live in their garages. This idea shows HOAs can create regulations for almost everything.
HOA garage door maintenance guidelines might require homeowners to schedule routine maintenance to keep their garage doors in excellent condition. Regular maintenance can address various damages and problems to maintain the functionality and appearance of your door.
Aside from complying with the HOA rules, garage door maintenance can extend your door’s life and prevent costly repairs. When a professional comes to maintain your overhead door, they perform essential upkeeping services, like lubricating moving parts, tightening nuts and bolts, and inspecting your door for problem areas. If they notice any problems, they’ll inform you and suggest a plan. Early awareness allows you to address issues before they become more significant and costly. For these reasons, regular maintenance can prevent your door from breaking down suddenly.
How to Meet HOA Requirements
To meet HOA garage door requirements, speak with leaders in the association to learn what rules you need to comply with. From there, the best way to meet your HOA’s garage door requirements is to hire a professional to maintain your garage periodically. As a bonus, garage door maintenance offers other benefits, including:
- Maintaining functionality: A professional will check and repair your cables, springs, openers and rollers so they remain in good condition.
- Increasing longevity: Since technicians alert you to problems as they arise, you can fix them before they get out of hand and cause your door to malfunction. By addressing problems as your door ages, you ensure it lasts longer.
- Saving money: Maintaining your garage door typically costs less than repairing or replacing it.
- Increasing security: Many homeowners can enter their homes through their garages. If your garage door system is in poor condition, an intruder could also enter your garage and home.
- Preventing damage: Your garage door can malfunction while entering or exiting your garage in your vehicle. If your door closes on your car, it can cause severe damage.
- Maintaining appearance: When your garage door has a problem, it can be noticeable enough to lessen the aesthetic appeal of your home. For instance, a misaligned door can appear to sag when open halfway.
- Maintaining your warranty: Most manufacturers offer a warranty on their products. However, the warranty can stipulate that you employ routine maintenance services, or it’ll be void.
How Often Should You Schedule Maintenance?
The frequency of your maintenance checks should depend on your preferences and HOA requirements. Some HOAs require annual maintenance, but you might prefer seasonal checks. Seasonal maintenance can ensure your garage functions appropriately in preparation for the next thunderstorm, heat wave or snowstorm.
EXL Garage Doors Can Maintain, Repair or Replace Your Garage Door
EXL Garage Doors is your local, trustworthy garage door services company in Tennessee. When you schedule maintenance with us, we’ll work with you to ensure your door functions properly for many years and complies with your HOA’s rules.
If our expert technicians notice anything amiss during your maintenance inspection, they can repair or replace your garage door. We can fix countless problems, but in some cases, a new garage door will benefit you more. Here are some signs that you need to replace your garage door:
- Frequent maintenance: If your garage door requires frequent maintenance or repairs, you could benefit from a new garage door system.
- Loud operation: As your door ages, it may shake or make loud and unusual noises. While this can indicate that your door needs maintenance, it can also mean you need a new one.
- Slow operation: After sending a command to your door, it should respond within a few seconds. If your door is slow to open or close, you might need to replace it.
Request Garage Door Services From EXL
Whatever you need — be it maintenance, repairs or replacements — EXL Garage Doors can do it all. With our years of experience, no project is too big. In fact, we love to transform our clients’ garages into tricked-out ones. HOAs often govern luxury communities, so it makes sense for residents to have luxury garages with unique features to increase comfort and convenience.